Draw the line that connects the behaviors you want to motivate with the financial outcome you want to achieve.
The Incentive Research Foundation (IRF) conducted research which uncovered five essential elements that, when combined, formed the core of the successful travel program. These were the items that made the program itself successful:
- The earning and selection criteria for the reward were clearly tied to business objectives.
- Communication about the program and the progress participants were making toward goals was clear and consistent. Anticipation built throughout the year and kept employees motivated to achieve their objectives.
- The design of the travel program, including desirable destinations, interactive sessions and leisure time for the earners, added to the overall excitement.
- Executives and key managers acted as hosts to reinforce the company’s commitment to the reward program and recognition.
- The company kept detailed records that prove the productivity of the earners and their contributions to the company’s financial performance.
Additionally, to maximize the benefit of an incentive travel program the research concluded the event should include:
- Recognition of earners.
- Networking opportunities for top performers to build relationships with other top performers and key management.
- Collaboration among top performers and management about best practices and ideas.
- Motivation of earners to continue to achieve high performance.